Friday, December 10, 2004

Weighty Musings

Weighty not because of the subject matter but because of the penguins in my head. Got a bit of a headache that just won't go away and my pet name for the demons that cause headaches (migraines in particular) is The Penguins. To understand why, you'd have to have watched Japanese tv in the early 80s - unless of course the sake commercial I'm referring to is still in production...Anyway - it features a bunch of penguins that flap about like penguins are wont to do. Penguins: full of grace they are not...so take that image, a deep Japanese voice over and a cutaway to Mr. Somebody-san sitting cross-legged in front of a Buddha shrine with his little cup of joy getting happier and happier with every sip. By the end, he's got a look of pure pleasure and then he topples over onto his side. And the penguins keep on flapping in tune to the music...

Anyway - clearly my middle meningeal artery is not dilated for reasons of sake, or pleasure for that matter, but somehow the clumsy penguins are still a good analogy all the same.

So, enough of my self-centered ramblings and on to more self-centered ramblings!

I saw a BMW the other day with the license plate "POSITV". Now why, in the name of all that is wrong with the world these days, would that be a good plate to have? Obviously the middle-aged dude paid some chunk o change for the vanity plate - but why? He wants to make a point perhaps? Ok. But what is his point? That he's positive? Well I'm sorry - maybe I'm a hardened cynic formerly of the health field but that just makes me instantly think of HIV. And there's a bit o crummy irony for you - a word that should have nothing but... well... _positive_ connotations conjures up in my mind something that is anything but. Anyway that's all I'll say on that subject for the moment...

Ever notice that "youth of the nation" sounds like "euthanasia"? Kudos to the first person that figures out what pop culture item this idea came from.

I need a nap - or a new brain. Whichever comes first I guess... Ciao til later...

1 Comments:

Blogger ladymurasaki said...

a friend suggested also "youth in asia" but somehow that doesn't quite tell the lightly veiled tale of woe of our own troubled yutes that i was going for...

02:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home