Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Guest DJ DeDrum: A Little Unwell

"A Little Unwell" by Matchbox 20

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be...me

The following analysis is provided courtesy of DeDrum - thanks brotha! With some added commentary from me (of course):


The funny thing is that right now, we're reviewing neurology.

If you give me time, I think I can figure out just what this person had....

Off the top of my head (no pun intended :-):

* "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell" - could suggest paranoia, delusion

* "I know right now you can't tell" - Most depression is un/underdiagnosed. But, most people with depression don't know they're depressed really

* "stay awhile and maybe then you'll see A different side of me" - Could suggest mania, indicating a bipolar disorder. Might also want to consider multiple personality disorder with this one.

* " I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired" - Functional Impairment is a key aspect of most psychiatric disorders

* " I know right now you don't care" - Delusions? Paranoia? An irrational, paralyzing fear that is unbidden and persists? (suggesting of OCD?)

* "But soon enough you're gonna think of me /And how I used to be...me" - Indicates a functional change over time. Could suggest a progressively debilitating psychiatric disease (most manifest themselves in the late 20s) or a disease of neurologic origin, like Huntington disease, Parkinson disease, Alzheimer disease, or Creutfel-Jakob disease (aka scrapie, BSE or 'Mad Cow' disease) I'd be worried about potential for stalking behaviors here also...but then again no one does stalker theme songs like The Police's "Every Breath You Take".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home