Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Fair Trade

Rykit said: "Fair trade is the exchange of goods or services of equal value. For example, a bunch of carrots for a bunch of bananas would be considered a fair trade. 150$ for a blow job would not be fair trade."

Allow me to address these items one at a time:

1) That situation of the carrot-banana swap can easily be set up in such a way as to benefit one party alone and maybe even go so far as to harm the other. For example, if i give you my bananas (are we still talking fruit here?) and you happen to like bananas but have no use for carrots which you give me in return then from your perspective, fair trade - but what if i have no use for carrots either and then later that afternoon i get asked to make my special banana bread. Suddenly the trade is not fair from my perspective ya see. A silly example to illustrate that it depends. The price of the items alone cannot tell you anything about the usefulness of either to a specific person(s).

2) the blow job - now don't make me go there. Just fill in these "items" in the example above. Hmmm. Banana bread...ahem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home